Planning to move abroad is huge. If you are at this stage right now, you probably have a hundred questions.
We are going to assume that you’ve already decided on the country, and probably even the city. Some of the common packing questions are:
- Can I get ____ in Ecuador?
- How much will ____ cost in Cuenca?
- Will I be able to order ____ from Ecuador?
- Just what is available in Ecuador?
These are all great questions. It would have been awesome to have known this when we planned our move two years ago.
To help you answer your questions, I’ve put together a set of great posts from previous months here on GringosAbroad.com
Ecuador Relocation Costs, Suggestions and Advice
- Life Startup Costs Abroad – Expat Start-up Costs What you will expect to pay for appliances, furniture, internet installation and apartment signings. We cover a range of the costs we incurred. What I would have given to have known this when we were planning our move.
- What Should You Bring When Moving to Ecuador? This post covers the basics of whats available and even profiles one of the great stores in Ecuador: Su Casa.
- What We Would Have Done Differently in Our Move Because we didn’t come on an exploring trip before moving, we were pretty blind when it came to certain household items. We brought things that just weren’t necessary.
Expat Life Isn’t Always How its Imagined
- Why Some Expats Decide Not to Live in Ecuador Addresses some of the (perceived) negatives about Ecuador and why some people who visit, decide that they just can’t hack it here.
Ordering Online and Shipping Internationally to Ecuador
Despite all the buzz that shipping household goods to Ecuador gets online, hardly anyone does it. Its expensive and frustrating. Everything is available here – you’ll be able to get just about everything here. What ever isn’t available can be shipped – check out these 3 posts:
- How To Receive International Shipments in Ecuador Many expat sites/blog talk about the poor courier / mail system in Ecuador. Well that hasn’t been the case for me. I receive review materials, both books and software, via courier and mail on a weekly basis and the system works very good. And it isn’t all that expensive.
- Club Correos: A New Way to Receive Online Purchases in Ecuador Learn about this great system by the Ecuador Postal System. Works especially well with Amazon.com
- How To Send and Receive Mail in Ecuador The basics of the Ecuador Postal System.
Any other suggestions to make packing for an international relocation smoother? Please share then in the comments.