I’m sure you’ve seen About.com before. It would be impossible not to have stumbled across it online. About.com is a top 15 website and they receive more than 60,000,000 visitors each month.
If you are planning to move abroad, you should consider writing for About. They are very different – both in their compensation and their attitude towards their writers – than all the other content driven sites.
I’ve been writing for About.com since April of last year, and I love it. I’ve got a great editor and I get to interview interesting people, including Chris Guillebeau (well known among travel bloggers/ business owners), Fabio Rosati (CEO of Elance) and Andrew Powers (PageLines). Check out my Online Business site at About.com.
There are 3 Ways to Work With About.com
- Guide: Involves the most responsibility and the highest compensation. As a guide, you are responsible for writing articles, blogging and maintaining the site.
- Contributing Writer: As a contributing writer, you work under the guidance of another guide, and write for their site. The focus is on content and you aren’t responsible for site maintenance.
- Video Producer: I don’t know much about this, but there is more info on their site. Essentially, they are looking for professional “how-to” styled videos.
If you’re interested to learn more, check out the Be a Guide Section.
Benefits of Writing with About.com:
- Work from Anywhere. It is content (not location) that’s important. They allow you to write and blog from anywhere in the world. I’m writing for them from here in Ecuador.
- They invest in you. Instead of getting pathetically small monthly checks like you can expect from many content driven sites, they guarantee you a minimum of $675/month plus traffic incentives. In fact most guides make much more than this. The average monthly compensation is $2000, with some writers making as much as $6000 per month.
- Time Commitment. Their site notes a time commitment of around 10-14 hours per week. See the minimum publishing requirements below.
- You start with a solid company. They are already one of the top sources. Writing for About.com gives you instant credibility and a huge audience.
- Direct Deposit into your Bank Account. This is a real plus, because if you’re traveling or living abroad, its pretty tough to receive checks. They transfer month once a month.
Minimum Publishing Requirements (taken directly from About.com)
Guides in their first two years must publish four articles every month with gaps of no greater than 14 days between articles, and update their blog one to three times every seven days. We’ve found that these baselines help new Guides grow their sites (and their earnings) more quickly by establishing a strong base of content that will garner a lot of repeat visits.
Check them out – this might just be the ticket to your round-the-world travels – or to living abroad. (It works for me!)