Paute is a small canton (county) in Azuay province – just outside of the city of Cuenca. It is just a short drive to Paute.
On our recent visit to Hacienda Uzhupud we spoke with Charlie Castro – head of entertainment. In this video, Charlie explains some of the highlights of Paute and the surrounding areas.
4 Things to Do in Paute Ecuador
- Cultural events / experiences: rodeo, wood handcrafts, town festivals, toquilla straw (Panama hats), higos con queso, and traditional dairy products
- Extreme sports: paragliding, rappelling and rock climbing
- Sightseeing: waterfalls, look-off points, lakes, power dam, and colonial houses
- Family attractions: horseback riding, hiking, fishing, biking, and trying new foods
Watch: What to Do in Paute
Watch this video on YouTube: http://youtu.be/2LG2pA9-zTM
General Video Outline
In Paute, the most important tourist places are:
- Hill Head Dog and Campana Huayco: they are natural attractions suitable for alternative tourism and perform extreme sports such as paragliding, rappelling and rock climbing. Offers: Native Chaparro and reforested areas (pedagogical visits).
- Viewpoint of Plazapamba and Virgenpamba: these attractions are in the Cantonal Centre and the scenic beauty of this place can be seen.
- Linear Park: Located in the town of Paute, linear park has viewpoints, cabins, bridges, horseback riding and track for BMX, ideal to visit as a family.
- Fruit Orchards: Paute, Cachiyacu, Bulan, Tambillo.
- Nature Attractions: In Paute and Sevilla de Oro you will find landscapes, waterfalls, chorreras, lagoons, a dam, trout, and processed dairy products.
The 6 Parishes / Parroquias of Paute
- SAN CRISTOBAL: House floating viewpoint of Tuzhpo, Church, handicrafts toquilla straw, religious festivals.
- CHICAN: Viewpoint of Maras, plays of the skirmish.(escaramuza)
- BULAN: Crafts in wood, route of fruits, fishing, skirmish.
- DUG-DUG: Viewpoint of Nunurco, paragliding, fishing, rodeo, agro-tourism, horseback riding, hiking.
- TOMEBAMBA: Observation of the reservoir of Mazar, Sugarloaf Hill lookoff, walks to the cerro Yanacocha, community rural tourism, dances.
- GUARAYNAG: Viewpoint of Parrot Peak Hill, Church heritage, colonial houses, Tasqui waterfall, crafts in toquilla straw.
Driving From Cuenca to Paute
Have you been to Paute and its parroquias? What do you like to do there?