GringosAbroad Ecuador

GringosAbroad helps expats and travelers navigate Ecuador. When you use our links, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.

Ecuador Visas – Visa and Immigration Information


Ecuador Visas: Visa and Immigration Information

Immigration requirements frequently change. Page last updated: Wednesday June 22, 2016

For the most updated information, check out our most recent Ecuador Visa posts

Passport Header

This information is provided by Grace Velastegui of Idrovo & Velastegui Attorneys at Law located in Cuenca, Ecuador. Visit their page to learn more about them, or ask a question.

In recent years there has been an influx of immigration to Ecuador.  Many foreigners are finding the relatively low cost of living and mild climate, especially in the Sierra Cities of Cuenca, Loja and Vilcabamba, to be most inviting.

7 Types of Ecuador PR Visas (Permanent Resident)

To help those who are interested in making the move to Ecuador we are providing the following information on some of the residency options that are currently available:

  1. Visa 9-I Pensioner’s Visa – For this visa you have to justify a monthly income of at least $800 for one person and $100 more per dependent, if you are coming with your family.  The income that you will receive monthly has to be proved with a certification from the entity that will pay you the income such as Social Security.
  2. Visa 9-II Real Estate Investor’s Visa – In this case you would have to buy property in Ecuador and register it in your name for a minimum price of $25,000 and $500 more per dependent.
  3. Visa 9-II Certificate of Deposit – You can apply for the second type of 9-II by investing in a Certificate of Deposit in a private bank in Ecuador and leaving the CD in the custody of the Central Bank of Ecuador. The required amount is $25,000 plus $500 per dependent. You will receive the interest, but you can’t withdraw the money until you decide to leave the country or change your status.
  4. Legal Representative, Work Visa or Religious Visa
  5. You can establish a legally registered company here in Ecuador and file the appropriate taxes for the company.  You will need to hire employees that will be enrolled in the Social Security system of Ecuador. You are allowed to bring dependents with this type of residency visa i.e. wife and children. There are different requirements depending on the type of company you chose.

You should be aware that in the first two years of residency you can only leave the country for 90 days in each year.

This information is provided by Grace Velastegui of Idrovo & Velastegui Attorneys at Law located in Cuenca, Ecuador. Visit their page to learn more about them, or ask a question.

You might also enjoy:

Check out our guides:

8 comments… add one
  • Jishnu Sep 17, 2016, 4:51 pm

    Can u provide your WhatsApp number for clarifying our queries

  • Max Sand Jun 22, 2016, 1:56 am

    Well I checked out this website to see if there were any questions about Visa’s. Yes there are BUT it seems these lawyers can’t be bothered to answer the questions. Not very impressive. I had a question but I see there is no point in asking it.

    • Max Sand Jun 22, 2016, 1:59 am

      Bryan, my comment is aimed at the Lawyers, Grace and Idrovo, not at you and Dena. You guys are great.

      • Bryan Haines Jun 22, 2016, 7:12 am

        Hey Max – sorry you found a page without responses. Grace has responded to hundreds of comments – she must have missed this page.

        Here are all our recent posts about Ecuador Visas. You’ll find lots of info in these pages.

  • Dr. Peter Brown Feb 13, 2015, 11:30 am

    I thought I had recently read there is a visa by merit of educational degrees, i.e. undergraduate (or higher). I currently have a B.S in Biology., M.S. in marine sciences & a DVM. Is this true & what paperwork is necessary if so?

  • Masoud Nourbehesht Dec 30, 2014, 3:55 am

    Dear Sir/Madam,
    This is Masoud Nourbehesht from Iran. I would like to immigrate to Ecuador with my wife and my son’s family (my son, his wife and her 6 years old daughter), totally 5 person (4 ADL+1 CHD). First I indicate our conditions then ask my questions which I appreciate to receive their answers:

    1) I am retired from Iran’s Ministry of Education with USD 550 monthly as pension
    2) My wife is also retired from Iran’s Ministry of Education with USD 550 monthly as pension

    1) Can my wife and I get permanent visa (Retirement visa) with regarding to have USD 1100 monthly ( USD 550 + USD 550 based on above mentioned pensions) ?

    2) Can my wife and I support my son’s family as our dependent?

    3) If the answer of Q2 is No, can my son get permanent visa through investment visa/deposit in bank and support his wife and child as dependent? how much ?

    4) What is the process for each type of visa and how we can apply?

    5) How long does it take to have immigration visa? should we arrive in Ecuador by tourist visa and then apply for permanent visa or we should apply for permanent visa from the first day?

    6) What documents do we need ? should they translate in English or Spanish ?

    7) What type of business we can set up by 20-30 thousand dollars ?

    8) What is the cost of each type of visa?

    9) How much is your wage from start till taking the immigration visa/permanent residency visa?

    10)Pls give me the details of all expenses which we should pay including your wage to whatever we should pay to the Ecuador government.
    11)How many percent do you guarantee our case will take permanent residency visa? As we have to say good bye to our life in Iran, sell everything and immigrate to a new country with new difficulties.

    Sorry for long questions but immigration is not simple.

    Best Regards
    Masoud Nourbehesht

  • Don Hazzard Apr 5, 2014, 10:25 pm

    I currently own two properties in my name in Ecuador and am closing another this month. The first two were purchased for 75k &120k in my nameThe third for 155k. Is it necessary for the third property to be in my wife’s name so she could get residency as well as a real estate investor.? Thank you for your help.
    Best regards,
    Don Hazzard

  • Linda Hoffman Oct 16, 2013, 9:26 pm

    I am currently in California,
    I AM impressed with your country leaders, and many things about Ecuador in general
    i am interested in residency in Ecuador
    Would you be able to assist me?
    Must I be in Ecuador to move forward with this?
    Can you assist or refer someone for a property rental?
    Thank you

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.