We get lots of questions about making money while traveling and living abroad. Nomadic Matt, (our friend and fellow travel blogger) has a great book, that really helped us: How to Make Money with Your Travel Blog
Does he know what he’s talking about? Well, he currently makes over $4000 per month on his travel blog.
This book will teach you about:
- Starting a Blog– Basic but necessary information about picking a niche (what are you an expert in?), choosing what kind of travel blog to have (there is more than one), and the number of websites to run. This sections makes you think about what type of site is best for you and how to create site that’s monetizable from day one.
- Installing Your Blog– All about choosing the right website name, picking a WordPress theme, and installing SEO plugins and how that affects your monetization (i.e. ability to make money.) This is just a basic section and presumes you probably already have some knowledge of websites. If you don’t, check out my book on how to build a website from the ground up.
- How to Get Lots of Traffic- This is about how to use social media sites like Stumble Upon, Twitter, Facebook and Digg to gain followers as well as advice on finding other bloggers, becoming a known and respected brand, how to build a community around your blog to get lots of traffic, links, guest blogging opportunities, and mentions on the web. (Look to your right to see where these strategies have got me mentioned!)
- Search Engine Optimization– Detailed information about SEO – how it works, site optimization, link building, the basics of Pagerank, how certain links are better than others, where to find those valuable links to rank high in Google, and how search traffic can convert into the biggest customers.
- Monetizing Your Blog– This section covers the main types of advertising, which type works best for blogs, how much to charge, and where to find willing advertisers that will starting paying you today. There’s also information on launching products and making effective newsletters.
- Putting it All Together– What to expect from all of this and how to best manage your time.
If you are planning to travel or even relocate abroad, its worth it to check out this eBook. How to Make Money with Your Travel Blog Just $37 will put you on your way.
(Have you read it? Would love to hear your story too!)
By the way: Even if you aren’t planning to make your living online, the book will help you build your blog and recoup your costs to get started. How to Monetize Your blog