We’ve been frequently asked about luggage – and what kind is the best. Going on a trip is one thing – moving all your stuff to your new country is something else. You really don’t want any problems with burst zippers and damaged stuff. While we don’t claim to know the best luggage we can confidently recommend the luggage that we use.
Our Favorite Luggage for International Travel
Our favorite luggage is by High Sierra. We have 3 (one for each of us) carry-on bags that go everywhere we go. Over the past eight years, they have traveled with us everywhere.
Our luggage has traveled:
- countless trips around Canada (both flights and road trips)
- numerous trips to the States
- to the Caribbean
- to Venezuela
- moved all our stuff to Ecuador
- countless trips around Ecuador, including to four of the Galapagos Islands
- a recent trip to the States, Canada and Aruba
- and the list will go on and on…
Why We Love High Sierra
Other than how durable the bags are, we really like their size. We can fit a lot (in terms of carry on luggage) in them and they fit will into the overhead compartments on planes.
They also have a zip-off day-pack which is incredibly handy. We usually put snacks, magazines and whatever else we may want during the flight in the day pack, zip it off right before the flight and store it under the seat. It does away with the need for an extra bag. Then when the flight is over we just zip it back on and our hands are free to deal with tickets and travel documents.
The day-packs are great once we get where we are going as well. They are not too big, but big enough for sun block, a snack, a bottle of water and a ball hat. Once those essentials are packed in, there is still a little extra room for the small souvenirs we collect on the way.
They don’t look that bad either. After all the traveling we’ve done there are no dents or rips, they are holding up really well.
What does it all cost? Well, because we bought it in Canada (and were distributing High Sierra at the time) we got a pretty good deal.
When I looked on Amazon to create the links for this post, I was shocked to see them selling it for less than what my wholesale price was in Canada!
Our High Sierra Luggage Set:
- 22″ Wheeled Backpack: With Pack N Go Removable Backpack
- High Sierra Loop Backpack: Comes in 30 colors. We choose the muted black/grey for our 3.
- High Sierra Swerve Laptop Backpack: This is my favorite laptop backpack – it holds a 15″ with room to spare – and doesn’t look like a laptop pack.
- High Sierra Wheeled Duffel: This has a ton of space and functions equally well as a duffel bag or a roller bag. Structured on the bottom and soft on the top and sides.
1. High Sierra 22″ Wheeled Backpack
Part backpack, part wheeled carry-on, the High Sierra 22″ Wheeled Backpack is equally at home in the airport and in the great outdoors. At a compact-yet-roomy 22-inch height, it is small enough to stow and large enough to hold all the gear you need for a walk in the woods or a night away.
It includes removable front day pack with zippered accessory pocket and dual-side water bottle pockets. Padded, S-shaped shoulder straps offer an integrated cell phone pocket on the removable day pack. Or engage the rolling features using the corner-mounted, inline skate-style wheels and recessed, telescoping handle with exclusive Soft-Grip. It also features an adjustable tow strap to attach additional gear.
Three is the magic number, and our 22-Inch Wheeled Backpack proves it. Use it as a wheeled bag, a backpack or unzip the day pack for a handy carry-on. With a large main storage space and plenty of extras, this bag lets you go from the airport terminal to the city streets to a hike in the hills all with the same smart pack.
- It is three bags in one! Use it as a wheeled bag, as a backpack, or as a day pack.
- Corner-mounted, inline skate-style wheels and recessed, telescoping handle
- Padded backpack straps are stored behind the zippered padded back panel
- Ergonomic, Sure-Grip molded-rubber grab handles with Vapel mesh padding to wick moisture
- Adjustable tow-strap to attach additional gear
2. High Sierra Loop Backpack
Offering a sporty, modern style, the High Sierra Loop is a great choice for student athletes or heading to the gym after work.
It also includes a hanging accessory pocket, a monster hook with bottom straps for more gear, and two side mesh water bottle pockets. The yoke-style, S-shaped shoulder straps offer thumb ring adjuster pulls and a cell phone pocket, and they feature ventilated Vapel mesh to keep you cool and a suspension strap to take the strain of heavy cargo off your back.
- Material: Mini-Hexagon Ripstop, Waffle Weave, 600-denier Duralite
- Overall measurement: 19.5 by 14.5 by 8.25 inches
- Capacity: 1949 cubic inches
- Weight: 1.5 pounds
3. High Sierra Swerve Laptop Backpack
With its distinctive swerve design and padded computer sleeve, the large High Sierra Swerve daypack will comfortably carry your gear all day long.
The multi-compartment design offers a padded computer sleeve with back access that accommodates a 15-inch laptop. Storage features include a CD/MP3 player pocket with headphone port, easy-access media pocket that holds a cell phone or PDA, and an organizer compartment with multiple pockets and removable key fob.
The S-shaped Airflow shoulder straps offer thumb ring adjuster pulls, and they feature ventilated Vapel mesh to keep you cool, a suspension strap to take the strain of heavy cargo off your back, and a tuck-away waist belt.
- Overall measurement: 19 by 13 by 7.75 inches
- Capacity: 1914.25 cubic inches
- Duraliter Ripstop, Waffle Weave, 1000D Duraliter
- Multi-compartment design with side mesh water bottle pockets
- Padded computer sleeve, with back-access, holds most 15 notebook computers (maximum size: 15.5″ x 10.75″ x 1.8″)
- Organizer compartment with multiple pockets and removable key fob
- Easy-access deluxe media pocket holds various sizes of cell phones, pda’s, and mp3 players
- Cd/mp3 player pocket with headphone port
4. High Sierra Wheeled Duffel
Offering a colossal 6,720 cubic inches of space, the High Sierra Wheeled Duffel has tons of storage options, including a U-shaped main compartment for easy packing, easy-access, top-load end compartments, and a front pocket for keys, tickets and much more.
For those who want the ultimate in storage and versatility, count on the Wheeled Duffel to turn your next trip a complete adventure.
- Duralite Tech Weave, 900-denier Duralite, 1200 x 1800-Denier Duralite
- Large main compartment with U-shaped zippered opening for easy packing.
- Two top-load end compartments hold clothing, shoes or accessories.
- Front pocket is perfect for quick-access items.
- Ergonomic, Sure-Grip molded rubber grab handle with Vapel™ mesh padding to wick moisture.
- Corner-mounted, inline skate-style wheels and recessed, telescoping handle with exclusive Soft-Grip.
Don’t forget to weigh your luggage before heading to the airport. You’ll hit your max weight faster than you might think. Here’s our guide to choosing the best luggage scale for travel.
Have you come across some really great luggage? Does it taken a lickin’ and keep on tickin’? Tell us about it by commenting on this post.