GringosAbroad Ecuador

GringosAbroad helps expats and travelers navigate Ecuador. When you use our links, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.

Update to Ecuador's 9-I Pensioners Visa (Visa de Rentista)

Posted in: Living in Ecuador

This post, with updated legal requirements for Ecuadorian visas for permanent residency, has been contributed by Nelson Idrovo, Attorney at Law. Along with his wife Grace Velastegui, Nelson runs Idrovo & Velastegui – a Cuenca Law Office.

There has been an update to one of Ecuador’s six permanent residency visas. I’ll let Nelson explain:

Update to Ecuador’s 9-I Pensioners Visa (Visa de Rentista)

grace-nelson-cuenca-law-office“This is to inform our readers that the requirement for an Ecuadorian Consulate to certify retirement income is no longer in force.

For countries under the Hague Treaty you can submit an apostilled social security letter or letter from retirement fund. For countries not under the Hague Treaty the retirement letter must be legalized by an Ecuadorian Consulate in your country.”

Nelson Idrovo
Attorney at Law

This post, with updated legal requirements for Ecuadorian visas for permanent residency, has been contributed by Nelson Idrovo, Attorney at Law. Along with his wife Grace Velastegui, Nelson runs Idrovo & Velastegui – a Cuenca Law Office.

Have a specific question? Ask it in the comments below or contact Grace and Nelson directly.

The 9-I Pensioners visa is popular among retirees because they can avoid having to make a large cash investment in the country. Learn more about Ecuador retirement.

You might also enjoy:

Check out our guides:

Meet the Author

Bryan Haines is co-editor of GringosAbroad - Ecuador's largest blog for expats and travelers. He is a travel blogger and content marketer. He is also co-founder of ClickLikeThis (GoPro tutorial blog) and Storyteller Travel.

19 comments… add one
  • Bob Fowler Apr 15, 2019, 8:11 pm

    We want to apply for the 2 year visa leading to perm.resident visa. Having a hard time getting started . How do we get the application form and instruction. I’ve searched the internet for hours. We are in the USA and would like to complete it before leaving for Ecuador.
    Please reply to my email address.
    Bob Fowler

  • Vishnu Dec 26, 2017, 8:57 am

    My dad is a retired railway employee in India. Is it possible to get the 9-I Pensioner’s in his case?

  • Ryan Milleman Sep 27, 2017, 9:00 pm

    Hello I was in the United States Air Force. I did not retire from there as I am only 31 but I do receive a disability check of $1200 a month. I was wondering what paperwork I would need and If i need to get it verified at an Ecuadorian Consulate? I am trying to get the 9I visa. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    • DANIEL JOHNSON May 11, 2019, 3:43 am

      I too am on disability (SSDI) and would like to move to Ecuador. I am only 54. Was wondering if the 9-I visa is what I would be applying for. I have searched the internet with as many key words as I can think of but still no real answer. Can I get a Retirement Visa on SSDI and still not be retirement age?

  • james a tipper Jun 21, 2017, 1:08 pm

    After obtaining my 9-I Pension Visa in 2010, I have lived in Atacames, Ecuador until the earthquake (April 2016) destroyed my apartment building. I immediately returned to the U.S. and have been waiting for the completion of the building reconstruction project, since that time. It should be completed within the next 2 months. But I have now been waiting in the U.S. the past 14 months, and can’t wait to return to Ecuador, and my apartment (I own it). Someone recently brought to my attention that I need to reapply for my 9-I Pension Visa because I have been out of Ecuador too long. I am devastated, if this is true. Please confirm one way or the other. And please give suggestions or options if there are any. I really don’t want to go through that application nightmare again.

  • gyan Nov 28, 2015, 2:22 am

    I will be applying for 9-1 Retirement Residency Visa after first of the new year, 2016. I was divorced 22 years ago and have remained single. Do I still have to submit my divorce papers. I will have to order a new copy from the court if it is required..
    please explain.

  • Ben Nov 9, 2015, 1:57 pm

    Hi grace, my wife and I are currently in Ecuador and we are going to apply for the 12X tourist visa to extend our stay until February. However, my wife would like to sign up to a spanish language course that begins in February. Is it possible to apply for the 12X tourist visa now, and then the 12V student visa in February, or are we limited to applying for only 1 kind of visa.
    We would apply for the 12V student visa now but we do not have the time to travel to Quito before our 90 day T3 runs out.
    Thanks Grace or anyone who may be able to provide any more information.

  • Carla Stillman Oct 1, 2015, 2:47 am

    I am moving to Ecuador in less than 2 weeks and will be obtaining a retirement visa. I’m not sure if you have the up to date information about the consulate. You do need the Ecuadorian consulate certify your Social Security pension document

  • vern Sep 22, 2015, 10:26 pm

    How long have you been in Ecuador and what are your opinions of the move?

  • jasmin Sep 22, 2015, 9:29 am

    My wife and I are retired Canadians with a monthly income of $5000.00 cdn.We will soon have our house at Mirador San Jose and want to be permanent residents as soon as possible after completion of our house.What exactly is the procedure? Thank you

  • Julie Freeman Sep 21, 2015, 2:52 pm

    As Canada is not a participant of the Hague Convention, apostille is not available. I think this post means that for countries within the Hague Convention, an apostille stamp is sufficient. But for countries like Canada who cannot apostille, certification is still required. Am I correct?

    • Grace Sep 22, 2015, 11:16 am

      For Canadians applying for residency, all the required documents must be legalized at an Ecuadorian Consulate in Canada. For countries under the Hague Convention, such as the U.S., all required documents must be apostilled.

  • Marylyn Jester Sep 20, 2015, 8:57 pm

    STILL IN EFFECT? Thank you Marylyn.

    • Grace Sep 21, 2015, 9:38 am

      You still must submit the Social Security letter that shows you receive a minimum of $800.00 a month for one person. The post is related to taking the Social Security letter to an Ecuadorian Consulate to receive a certification letter from the Consul. This step is no longer required.

  • Kayce Sep 19, 2015, 1:52 pm

    So the minimum Social Security monthly income requirement of $800, is no longer in effect?
    And the ‘Income Letter’ from wherever simply must be Apostilled FOR an Ecuadorian Consulate (for profit business) in the USA. Correct?
    Is that what he said?
    Thank you.

    • Dave Lewis Sep 21, 2015, 4:27 am

      I am a retired Canadian citizen with a Government Pension over $1000.00 Cdn.. So if I have a 9-1 pension I will not pay or invest money to retire in Ecuador. Just need to get a letter apostilled from my lawyer that I have that pensioned money… Going back and forth from Canada to meet a three year visa requirement would not work.


    • Grace Sep 21, 2015, 10:28 am

      Dear Kayce,
      To apply for the 9-I Retirement Residency Visa you still must submit a letter from Social Security or the pension fund stating you receive a minimum of $800.00 per month. If you are from the U.S. this letter must be apostilled. The post is referring to the requirement to take the apostilled social security letter to an Ecuadorian Consulate to obtain a certificate from the Consul (which was a separate document written in Spanish). However, this step is no longer required.

  • Anne Sangine Sep 19, 2015, 11:50 am

    What changes? Do they affect people who already have prisoner’svisas?

    What are the current requirements for ciizenship? 90 days total out of the,country for 3years, or 90 days each year?
    Thank you

    • Grace Sep 21, 2015, 10:22 am

      Dear Anne,

      The change does not affect people who already have their residency visa.
      To apply for naturalization, at this time the requirement is you cannot be out of the country for more than 90 days total in the first 3 years of residency.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.