This is a good question. Basically, travel insurance is there for the unknown. A slip, a pickpocketing or a missed flight means so much more ($) when you are in another country. How can you get funds, replacement id or another flight? That’s what travel insurance is for.
There are a number of options for travel insurance.
Update (April 16, 2018): We published a new post entitled: 5 Travel Insurance Options for Expats
What About Travel Insurance From Your Credit Card?
If you are not an expat, you can probably use your credit card offer. From my experience though, is that the convenience will cost you.
But if you are an expat, you might not qualify. That’s not to say that they won’t happily bill you. But if you need to make a claim, you could find yourself out of luck. If you are going to use your credit card company for travel insurance, be sure to confirm – telling them specifically where you are a permanent resident. Otherwise you might not be covered – or even qualify.
What About Travel Insurance From Your Health Plan?
Again, you’ll want to confirm that you qualify, even as an expat.
The other factor is the level of coverage. Some health plans only offer “critical health coverage”, and nothing more. This isn’t much use. You are more likely to lose your wallet or break your arm than to be in a life-or-death situation. While having help to cover medical bills if you are dying is great – but you should have more of an insurance policy than that.
Why We Chose World Nomads Travel Insurance
Our preferred travel insurance partner, WorldNomads.com keeps you traveling safely. They cover residents from over 150 countries and you can buy, extend and claim, even while traveling. Here are some reasons to buy travel insurance with World Nomads:
- Save money: By focusing on what you need and leaving out what you don’t, WorldNomads.com prices are some of the most competitive online. With travel insurance that’s made for independent and adventurous travelers, their insurance includes what’s important: overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and cover for a range of adventure sports.
- Stay flexible: Did you leave home without insurance ? Had a change of plans or your cover has expired? With WorldNomads.com, you can buy travel insurance, extend your policy or claim online, 24/7, even while traveling.
- Be adventurous: From skiing & snowboarding in New Zealand to whitewater rafting in Colorado, WorldNomads.com covers a range of adventure activities, giving you peace of mind to get the most from your travels.
- Get help when you need it most: WorldNomads.com is backed by a suite of strong, secure, specialist travel insurers who provide you with great cover, 24 hour emergency assistance and the highest levels of support and claims management when you need it most.
- Stay safe on the road: All WorldNomads.com members have access to up-to-date travel safety alerts, as well as travel safety advice and tips online through the WorldNomads.com Travel Safety Hub.
- Communicate in 25 languages and stay in touch: Get all the best phrases in the local lingo with WorldNomads.com’s series of iPod & iPhone Language Guides. They’ll help you stay in touch with family and friends with a free travel blog.
- Make a difference when you travel: When you buy a policy from WorldNomads.com you can help make a difference to developing communities. Your small donation helps fund local projects through the WorldNomads.com Footprints program.