Get the latest Ecuador news direct from one of Ecuador’s 32 daily newspapers.
In this post, we share all the major daily newspapers in Ecuador. Every one of them is in Spanish. There are no English dailies in Ecuador.
Translation tip: Instead of copying text, just copy the url of the paper and/or the specific article, click “Translate” and you can read it all in English.
Ready to get started? Here are all 32 daily papers in Ecuador – organized by province.
Get Ecuador News: Ecuador’s 32 Daily Newspapers
Ecuador’s daily newspapers (PERIÓDICOS DIARIOS DE ECUADOR)
National Ecuador News
From what I can tell, this is the only national paper in the country. While a few of the papers in Quito and Guayaquil do a decent job of covering national news, this free paper covers the three major cities quite well.
- METRO HOY Quito www.metroecuador.com.ec (Covers Quito, Cuenca and Guayaquil)
QUITO (Pichincha), Ecuador News
Quito is the country capital and is the highest official capital city in the world (at 9,350 feet / 2,800 meters above sea level).
- LA HORA Quito www.lahora.com.ec
- EL COMERCIO Quito www.elcomercio.com
- HOY Quito www.hoy.com.ec (Closed in August 2014)
- ÚLTIMAS NOTICIAS Quito www.ultimasnoticias.com
- POPULAR Quito www.elpopular.com.ec (Closed)
Azuay, Ecuador News
Azuay Province is home to Cuenca – the third largest city in the country.
Read more about Cuenca’s papers.
- EL MERCURIO Cuenca www.elmercurio.com.ec
- EL TIEMPO Cuenca www.eltiempo.com.ec
- LA TARDE Cuenca www.latarde.com.ec
Cañar, Ecuador News
- PORTADA Azogues www.diarioportada.com
Chimborazo, Ecuador News
Cotopaxi, Ecuador News
El Oro, Ecuador News
Guayas, Ecuador News
- EL UNIVERSO Guayaquil www.eluniverso.com
- EXPRESO Guayaquil www.expreso.ec
- EXTRA Guayaquil www.extra.ec
- SÚPER Guayaquil www.super.com.ec (not currently publishing)
- EL TELÉGRAFO Guayaquil www.telegrafo.com.ec
- PP EL VERDADERO Guayaquil www.ppelverdadero.com.ec
Imbabura, Ecuador News
- EL NORTE Ibarra www.elnorte.ec (December 2015 – site down).
Loja, Ecuador News
Manabí, Ecuador News
- EL DIARIO Portoviejo www.eldiario.com.ec
- EL MERCURIO Manta www.elmercurio-manta.com
- LA MAREA Manta www.eldiario.com.ec/lamarea
- EL MANABA Manta www.diarioelmanaba.com.ec
Pastaza, Ecuador News
- PUYOGACETA Puyo www.puyogaceta.com
Santo Domingo de Tsáchilas, Ecuador News
- EL PERIÓDICO COLORADO Santo Domingo periodico.corporacioncolorado.net (December 2015 – site down)
- CENTRO Santo Domingo www.eldiario.com.ec/centro/
Tungurahua, Ecuador News
- EL HERALDO Ambato www.elheraldo.com.ec
Ecuador Government National Papers
There are also a couple of government newspapers. Thanks to David Sasaki for the information.
Are we missing one? Please add it in the comments below.
So there you have it. 32 sources of national and regional Ecuador news.
News in Ecuador
Keep in mind that the reporting is different in Ecuador. Front page images often feature gory accidents or violent murders. While this can be disturbing – especially if you have children – it doesn’t mean that things are worse here. You just see the details more often.
You can always catch up on Ecuador’s news for free online (with the above links) or by reading the free paper provided on national flights.
Now it’s your turn
What is your favorite paper? What other source do you use for Ecuador news? Please share your comments below…