If you are planning on living in Ecuador you are going to need a place to live.
While some new expats jump right in and buy a property (sometimes sight-unseen) most take a more relaxed approach and rent for a while. There are some definite joys to renting…
While Ecuador might be just right for you, it is hard to pick the city, or even the part of the city, that you would be most happy in. For example, within just the canton of Cuenca there are 36 different parroquias (or parishes). Learn about the parroquias of Cuenca. It is even harder in a large city like Quito or Guayaquil to determine just where you should rent (or buy) your new place.
How To Find Real Estate in Ecuador
How will you find your new place to live? While there are classifieds, the market isn’t as well organized as we are used to in North America.
There is no central place to find all the rentals – and many of the good deals never get advertised any more than a paper in the window. Agents often have leads on a few rentals but they are limited and (almost always) more expense.
Here’s how to get started:
- How to Find Real Estate in Ecuador (6 Sources)
- How to Rent or Buy Housing in Ecuador
- 3 Ways to Find Rental Property in Cuenca, Ecuador
- How to Choose an Ecuador Real Estate Agent
What Are the Homes Like in Ecuador?
The homes in Ecuador are beautiful and the workmanship is often superior to what we used to see in Canada. But there are some big differences in how homes are built and finished. Some are good surpries while other differences are just plain surprises.
Here’s what you need to know about the homes:
- What To Expect When Renting a House in Ecuador
- Reality Check: Housing in Cuenca, Ecuador
- Reader Question: How Easy is it to Rent Apartments / Houses With Pets?
Price / Value of Real Estate in Ecuador
What is the “normal” price of real estate in Ecuador? Great question.
It is a largely unregulated market with prices varying widely. Here are a few articles to give you an overview of how things work and just what to expect.
- The Real Estate Market in Ecuador: Time to Invest?
- Are Rental Prices Increasing in Cuenca, Ecuador?
- Are Expats Paying Too Much for Rentals in Cuenca?
- Has the Cost of Living Increased in Ecuador?
- What Are the Rental Laws in Ecuador?
Benefits of Buying a Home in Ecuador
Aside from the obvious benefit of actually owning your home, there is an added incentive for expats to buy. The purchase can be used towards the investment component of applying for permanent residency.
- 6 Types of Ecuador Permanent Resident Visas
- Ecuador Real Estate: Legal Issues (Video)
- 4 Benefits of Ecuador’s Residency Visa
Ecuador Real Estate Legal Concerns
Watch on YouTube
House Hunters International in Cuenca, Ecuador
House Hunters International has been in Ecuador many times. Here is an overview of our experience as the subjects for one episode.
- House Hunters International Ecuador: All 14 Episodes
- New Episode of House Hunters International: Haines Family in Cuenca Ecuador
- Behind the Scenes: House Hunters International in Cuenca Ecuador
Real Estate Questions?
What’s your question about real estate in Ecuador?
Please check out the posts above and ask your questions on the related posts. If your question doesn’t seem to fit anywhere, please ask it below.